Quotes

If you want to sing out, sing out, and if you want to be free, be free, cause there's a million ways to be, you know that there are.
--Cat Stevens

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Thread Crochet Resources

I couldn`t possibly consider myself an expert in thread crochet.  I have only really done 2 things in thread so far:  A fillet crochet panel depicting an eagle in flight ( note to Amy call mom and see if she has a picture or would be willing/able to take one) and my current snowflake project.  Both of these projects are in number 10 thread--ie as big as you can get and still be considered thread.  But I know like me many people are like I was and scared of learning to work in thread so I have put together a list of some of my favorite thread crochet resources. 

  • Thread Crochet and Snowflakes  is one of the my favorite resources so far.  It is very text heavy but has great discussions on every thing from the types of thread to choose to how to hold your work and maintain tension--two things which can be very difficult when beginning to work with thread.
  • The next is a video done my Aunt Lydia's That gives good descriptions of the various thread weights and hook sizes with a few recommendations for where to start.  It's short and sweet.
  •  Thread Crochet at about.com  I have mixed feelings about about.com.  All personal feelings aside, I would be remiss if I didn't at least mention this section on thread crochet.  Amy Solovay --about.com's crochet guide has gathered many resources, tutorials, and free patterns into the same place and it definitely useful.
So what are you favorite resources for working in thread?


1 comment:

  1. Oh, Amy---these are quite lovely! I've started collecting a few colors of #8 to use for embroidery--guess that's still too 'thick'! How delicate those snowflakes are!!

    ReplyDelete