Quotes

If you want to sing out, sing out, and if you want to be free, be free, cause there's a million ways to be, you know that there are.
--Cat Stevens

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

WIP Wednesday's: Candy stripe blankie, and a hat

There's really not much to say about this blankie, except that I think the colors are gorgeous. It's super simple and so is working up fairly quickly. The only thing I can't decide is if this blankie needs a single crochet border or not and, if it needs a border what color should that border be.



Somehow I always seem to start another project even though I have a bunch that need finishing. I have decided to work on my knitting by pulling out my practice square and turning it into a Slouchy hat with Picot edging. I just cast on this Monday so it doesn't look like much yet, as I am a very slow knitter still.





The thing I find most challenging so far is keeping track of my stitches and row count. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish them and figuring out which row I am on. I mostly can tell when I am at the beginning of the next round but it is easy to confuse my self. Also I have a question is it just me or is knitting in the round actually knitting in the spiral. It seems like it is the same as crocheting unjoined rounds--which means it is in the spiral. It might help my poor head if I could figure that out. I am so used to crocheting hats; working from the bottom up is kind of confusing to me. Theoretically they are the same and the end product doesn't change whether it is made from the bottom up or the top down but my head and hands disagree.

Oh boy I am starting to ramble. Well thanks for visiting.


Oh I almost forgot I have been working on a chart for making a zebra motif. It's taken alot longer than I planned but I think I have come up with something I can use. I hope it A.) has enough detail, and B.) won't end up too big; I just want a small motif for the corner of the candy strip blanket probably no more than 4" x 6".



If you want to check out more Work-In-Progress posts, please check out Tami’s Ami’s Blog, who’s been organizing a great WIP Wednesday blog theme!

8 comments:

  1. Zebra = AWESOME! That's so cool. Can't wait to see him on your blankie. Yes. Knitting in the round is pretty much knitting in a spiral. Every time you get to the next round, you're stitching on top of the previous round.

    As for keeping your place, use a row counter or a piece of scratch paper to count. Life will be easier. :)

    And, you can keep track of where you are in a round by paying attention to the trail. It'll come up on the left as you're nearing the end of a round. As soon as you pass it, you're on the next one. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knitting in the round can definitely be tricky at first, but like Paula said, just keep an eye on your tail :) Or, you can use a stitch marker to keep your place. What's nice with knitting in the round is that if you want stockinette stitch you just keep knitting...no need to worry about purling!

    I love the colors on that blanket! So vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just keep knitting....figuing out the stitch and row count gets easier with experience!

    You asked on my blog if the puffy scarf is good for a beginer...indeed it is. The secret is finding the Tango yarn.

    Amazing Zebra Chart. Can't wait to see how it works up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much for the kind words and encouragement. It means a lot to me and thanks for the tip about watching the tail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the blanket! I don't think it needs a border, but if you want to add one, I think a black border would look nice with all the colors. I love your zebra motif. Great job! As for knitting in the round, get a stitch marker and a row counter and you're life will be a lot easier. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That blanket is awesome! It does look like fruit stripe gum, and that zebra is really cute.

    Your knitting is getting better and better! Your purlside gauge looks pretty even from here - keep at it and you'll get more confident.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also - knitting in the round is actually a spiral, yes. The trick about watching the tail to count rows is important - I like to use a stitch marker because I tend to weave the tail in immediately (so the cats can't grab it), and a stitch marker tells you the same thing - where your new row begins.

    ReplyDelete